Sports, Celebrity, Tech, Entertainment, Lifestyle, News, Events and Gossip...

Wednesday, 14 March 2018

Papua New Guinea earthquake: death toll rises to 145, Over 35,000+ displaced


Almost three weeks now since the occurrence of earthquake in the provinces of Hela and Southern Highlands, some places remain cut off and an estimated 35,000 people have been displaced, the PNG police force said on Wednesday.

“From the reports received at the command centres [in Tari and Mendi], 45 have died so far in the Southern Highlands province and in Hela 80 people are confirmed dead,” a spokesman said.
“It is expected that the figure might increase once all people have been accounted for.”
About 270,000 people, including 125,000 children, require urgent humanitarian assistance, Unicef has said.


And according to recent report many persons are currently facing one trauma or the other. The NGOs on ground have also reported, “We’re still getting aftershocks; we had one last night,” said Andreas Wuestenberg from the village of Pimiga, where people had moved to an emergency camp.
“[Food] stocks are rapidly depleting. We’re not yet seeing a high increase in malnutrition in children but we’re expecting that will rise quite quickly.
“One of the main concerns is also the spread of disease, especially in this makeshift camp.”

And so far, at least 145 people have died in the disaster and 270,000 need humanitarian help, officials say.




No comments:

Post a Comment